The impressive 1929 classic motor yacht Dona Amélia arrived mid-August 2011 for a four month refit programme by Pendennis Plus. She was the first project undertaken by this division of Pendennis, which was acquired as Devonport Yachts in 2010 and then rebranded as Pendennis Plus in 2011. This division specialises in the build and refit of 60m+ vessels.
Dona Amélia was originally built by Krupp Germaniawerft for millionaire Max C. Fleischmann (1877-1952) following plans drafted by the New York naval architects Cox and Stevens.
The ship was constructed to be especially strong so that it might serve for long scientific, fishing, and pleasure cruises in the Pacific waters off the Californian coast. Using the latest technological developments, the vessel was equipped with the twin diesel engines that still propel her to this day.
Dona Amélia’s four month programme of refit works included an engineering survey followed by a full service and overhaul of her engineering systems. This included her original Krupp Germaniawerft main engines, generators, AC, water makers, thrusters, hydraulics, windlass. Pendennis also undertook an overhaul of a total of 15 tanks (fuel, water, grey, black), revitalised the extensive teak decks, and upgraded the Jacuzzi, AV systems and galley equipment.